SANITATION SUPERVISOR- Brandon, Manitoba, Canada
Considering a Career at Maple Leaf Foods?
Maple Leaf Foods is Canada’s leading consumer-packaged protein company, headquartered in
Toronto, Ontario. We make high-quality, great tasting, nutritious and innovative food products under leading brands including Maple Leaf®, Maple Leaf Prime®, Maple Leaf Natural Selections®, Schneiders®, Schneiders Country Naturals® and Mina™. Our Company employs approximately 11,500 people in its operations across Canada and exports to more than 20 global markets including the U.S. and Asia.
Our people are passionate about the work they do and the products we make. As we move forward, we are determined to leverage their integrity and passion to continue to build a high-performing, values-based company enabled by high-performing, motivated and talented people.
The incumbent supervises hourly employees on the night shift and is responsible for ensuring proper sanitation practices are followed while monitoring plant cleanliness through procedural observation and pre-operational inspections. The incumbent’s main accountability is to supervise hourly staff and to ensure sanitation programs and practices meet and/or exceed governmental requirements in order to protect the Company’s interests.
- Functions as the back up to Sanitation General Supervisor as required
- Plans manpower requirements for the department on a daily and weekly basis in order to achieve plant cleanliness
- Directs employees in GMP’s, HACCP, pre-operational, and sanitation procedures
- Prepares reports and maintains records for due diligence of sanitation procedures and continuous improvements
- Submits work orders for the repair and maintenance of equipment with follow up
- Maximizes attendance and follow-up to reduce absenteeism by coaching, conducts Accident Investigations, and takes disciplinary statements and administers discipline in line with the Plant’s Discipline Policy
- Provides leadership by instilling team goals and objectives and fosters good staff relationships in order to gain commitment from hourly employees
- Ensures employees are trained and qualified in WHMIS and other programs prior to handling and using chemicals and/or prior to the operation of equipment
- Approves and submits electronic payroll for employees in the department with due regard to the application of the collective bargaining agreement and Company policies
- Undertakes to protect the health and safety of employees in accordance with established safe work procedures, Company policies, and applicable provincial legislation
- Other duties as may be assigned
- Seeks out and applies best practices as solutions to correct deficiencies
- Continues to examine opportunities for personal growth and industry knowledge
- Embraces the Maple Leaf Leadership Values to create superior shareholder value
- Willing to rotate between various Sanitation departments as required
- Meet/Exceed CFIA / HACCP Requirements
- Meet/Exceed Health & Safety Scorecard Targets
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE & COMPETENCY REQUIREMENTS:
- A minimum of 3 years’ experience in a unionized meat or food processing environment
- Demonstrated leadership skills
- Post-secondary education in Microbiology or Chemistry or equivalent by having completed a recognized food processing continuing education program
- A strong communicator, both written and oral, who is confident, decisive, able to deal with conflict and yet achieve win-win results
- Knowledge of HACCP, GMPs, WHIMIS, First Aid, Food Safety, Basic Food Microbiology, and Health & Safety Regulations
- Basic computer skills including proficient knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite, Kronos Odysseus Payroll software, and other various computer programs
- Walking/Standing in areas with automated, noisy, and potentially dangerous machinery
- Able to work in a cold, humid, or wet manufacturing environment with frequent standing/walking and occasional lifting of up to 30 kgs
- Experience working in a Unionized facility
We thank all applicants for their interest in exploring employment opportunities with Maple Leaf Foods however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicants may be subject to a background check and must meet the security criteria designated for the position.
Maple Leaf Foods is committed to Employment Equity and maintaining a diverse workforce. Job applicants with a disability who require reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process can contact our Talent Attraction Team at email@example.com or 905-285-5862. Reasonable accommodations will be determined on a case-by-case basis and your request will be responded to as soon as possible.