MANAGER, MAINTENANCE AND ENGINEERING
Considering a Career at Maple Leaf Foods?
Maple Leaf Foods is Canada’s leading consumer-packaged protein company, headquartered in
Toronto, Ontario. We make high-quality, great tasting, nutritious and innovative food products under leading brands including Maple Leaf®, Maple Leaf Prime®, Maple Leaf Natural Selections®, Schneiders®, Schneiders Country Naturals® and Mina™. Our Company employs approximately 11,500 people in its operations across Canada and exports to more than 20 global markets including the U.S. and Asia.
Our people are passionate about the work they do and the products we make. As we move forward, we are determined to leverage their integrity and passion to continue to build a high-performing, values-based company enabled by high-performing, motivated and talented people.
The Maintenance & Engineering Manager has a key leadership role at the plant and is the champion for all reliability centered maintenance initiatives undertaken while transitioning the maintenance program towards world class. The incumbent is responsible for ensuring that assets are maintained in a cost effective manner so as to ensure that they satisfy all reliability and performance requirements.
This role has overall accountability for maintenance, automation, building services and utilities including waste water treatment. As such the Maintenance & Engineering Manager is responsible for directing maintenance activities including the application of uniform standards and specifications, compliance with regulatory requirements, schedule and cost control programs.
- Manage and provide direct leadership to maintenance and engineering departments;
- Set priorities and expectations for the Maintenance Planner/Scheduler, Chief Engineer, Maintenance Supervisor, automation and system integration specialist, and team leaders to ensure effective utilization of resources;
- Manage third party trades and/or contractors as required;
- Manage complete maintenance program using SAP PM;
- Actively contribute to the successful management of the plant’s processes and employees by offering support, feedback and counsel;
- Keep current with technologies that relate to maintenance and food processing;
- Ensure compliance with the TSSA as it relates to the inspection of boilers, pressure vessels and piping systems;
- Ensure compliance with BRC and CFIA requirements as it relates to food safety and ensure that corrective action requests are dealt with in an effective and timely manner;
- Ensure compliance with all applicable provincial and federal labour regulations and adhere to the terms and conditions specified in the appropriate collective bargaining agreements;
- Demonstrate an active involvement/commitment to a progressive health and safety program and food safety program;
- Leverage RCM and Six Sigma methodologies to optimize the maintenance program and help transition it towards world class;
- Utilize KPIs to assess performance of the maintenance and engineering groups, and lead improvement through a continuous improvement program;
- Manage capital projects from design through to commissioning;
- Develop and lead the plant’s energy conservation projects;
- Manage operating and capital budgets, ensuring that all spending is in accordance with MLF policy;
- Provide strategic guidance to the automation and systems integration specialists and participate in the design reviews for network and SCADA system upgrades;
- Oversee the use of the SCADA system to monitor key maintenance and equipment performance parameters;
- Report on budget variance and take appropriate corrective action; and
- All other related duties as assigned.
The successful candidate will be:
- At home in a manufacturing environment and have 10+ years of leadership experience in an asset and maintenance management role;
- A university or technical college graduate with a degree, certificate or diploma in a related field;
- Two to five years’ experience overseeing automation and system integration specialists;
- Effective leading people in a Unionized environment;
- Results-orientated, able to thrive in a fast paced, demanding environment;
- An excellent communicator with highly developed leadership skills;
- Experienced developing RCM-based maintenance programs that maximize the use of equipment health monitoring technologies;
- Strong business, analytical, information system and computer skills. Highly proficient in the use of Microsoft Office and experienced with Computerized Maintenance Management Systems (SAP PM preferred);
- Knowledgeable in best practices in a maintenance environment and familiar with what word class looks like;
- Knowledge of ammonia-based plant refrigeration systems and their operation;
- Able to manage maintenance and maintenance resources effectively through the use of key performance indicators and benchmarking;
- Proven record for tracking and predicting reliability issues and implementing improvement strategies before equipment failure; and
- Experienced with Lean Manufacturing, Six Sigma and TPM.
Highly desirable but optional qualifications include:
- Knowledge and experience with HACCP an asset; and
- Membership in PEMAC or any other professional maintenance association, with or without an MMP designation an asset.
We thank all applicants for their interest in exploring employment opportunities with Maple Leaf Foods however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicants may be subject to a background check and must meet the security criteria designated for the position.
Maple Leaf Foods is committed to Employment Equity and maintaining a diverse workforce. Job applicants with a disability who require reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process can contact our Talent Attraction Team at email@example.com or 905-285-5862. Reasonable accommodations will be determined on a case-by-case basis and your request will be responded to as soon as possible.