HEALTH & SAFETY COORDINATOR
Considering a Career at Maple Leaf Foods?
Maple Leaf Foods is Canada’s leading consumer-packaged protein company, headquartered in
Toronto, Ontario. We make high-quality, great tasting, nutritious and innovative food products under leading brands including Maple Leaf®, Maple Leaf Prime®, Maple Leaf Natural Selections®, Schneiders®, Schneiders Country Naturals® and Mina™. Our Company employs approximately 11,500 people in its operations across Canada and exports to more than 20 global markets including the U.S. and Asia.
Our people are passionate about the work they do and the products we make. As we move forward, we are determined to leverage their integrity and passion to continue to build a high-performing, values-based company enabled by high-performing, motivated and talented people.
The Occupational Health and Safety Coordinator will work closely with managers, supervisors and individual employees to promote occupational health and safety within the Brandon plant to develop safer, healthier and more efficient methods of working. This involves maintaining health and safety systems, identifying hazards, and providing advice and support on accident prevention and occupational health.
- Coordinate and conduct training sessions for all employees regarding health and safety practices and legislation
- Establish roles and responsibilities for Joint H&S committee members and Safety Captains
- Act as a facilitator in the promotion of safe work behaviours as part of the SHARP program
- Develop and communicate H&S policies, procedures, training and orientation manuals, and provide updates on weekly accident and injury metrics
- Develop methods to predict potential hazards using historical data and other informational resources
- Inspect and test work areas, machinery and equipment for potential accident and health hazards with Safety Captains
- Work with the Joint Health and Safety committee to implement appropriate hazard control measures within the plant
- Assist in and report on accident investigations
- Coordinate Crisis Response programs
- Oversee contract security services
- Oversee Ergonomic project
- Data entry and presentation development
- Assist with other tasks as required
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE & COMPETENCY REQUIREMENTS:
- Grade 12 completion or equivalency
- Completion or enrollment in an accredited Occupational Health and Safety certification program
- Minimum two years experience in the administration of Occupational Health and Safety policies and legislative compliance
- Experience in a health and safety role, preferably within a manufacturing environment
- Comprehensive knowledge of Occupational Health and Safety legislation combined with training hazard recognition, assessment and control
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, ability to work with union and management personnel using a collaborative approach
- Ability to take initiative and work independently, as well as part of a team
- Strong computer application (Microsoft Office) and analytical skills
We thank all applicants for their interest in exploring employment opportunities with Maple Leaf Foods however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicants may be subject to a background check and must meet the security criteria designated for the position.
Maple Leaf Foods is committed to Employment Equity and maintaining a diverse workforce. Job applicants with a disability who require reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process can contact our Talent Attraction Team at firstname.lastname@example.org or 905-285-5862. Reasonable accommodations will be determined on a case-by-case basis and your request will be responded to as soon as possible.