Scale Operator - Landfill
Sanitation Department - Administrative Level 2
The Scale Operator performs a variety of clerical and customer service duties in support of the Sanitation section of the Operations Division, including handling public inquires and concerns. The incumbent is part of a strategic team working to ensure the efficient delivery of Sanitation services to the City of Brandon. Duties include operating the scale at the landfill entrance, weighing City, private and commercial vehicles, recording appropriate information including vehicle and material identification and weight, and processing documentation as required. Join our team and help contribute to serving and building our community!
Mandatory Qualifications & Experience
- Grade 12, G.E.D., or Mature High School Diploma
Preferred Qualifications & Experience
- Computer training
- Demonstrates competence and accuracy when performing arithmetical calculations and cash transactions.
- Sufficient customer services experience to have demonstrated competence in related tasks.
Typical Duties and Responsibilities
- Operates scale at landfill entrance, weighing City, private and commercial vehicles, recording appropriate information including vehicle and material identification and weight, and processing documentation as required;
- Monitors refuse entering the landfill for potential hazards, restricted materials or recycling designations and directs disposal accordingly;
- Manages all public enquiries made at the scale building in a courteous and expedient manner on a wide variety of topics, including recycling information and dumping restrictions, and acts as a resource person to the public for information regarding sanitation services;
- Maintains records and documentation for the Eco Centre;
- Processes transactions for the collection of tipping fees and scale use, including accepting payments, issuing receipts, maintaining relevant records and cash flow for both cash and debit transactions;
- Runs daily reports, reconciles daily receipts and prepares bank deposits;
- Completes data entry for the Sanitation department as required;
- Observes the conduct of the public in and around the Eastview Landfill and directs them to the proper dumping area accordingly;
- Performs janitorial duties in scale building;
- Maintains operational readiness of the scale, including snow and ice removal throughout the shift as required.
PLEASE NOTE: Successful applicant must pass a Police Criminal Record Check
Competition # 170079
Please apply with a cover letter and resume on-line at: http://jobbank.brandon.ca
Applications will be accepted until 11:59 p.m. on September 28, 2017
This opportunity is open to all applicants; however, first consideration will be given to current City of Brandon CUPE employees.
The selection process for this competition will include testing and an interview.
The City of Brandon reserves the right to underfill this position
Rate of Pay: $19.74 - $21.66 – 2017 Rates
Posted: September 14, 2017
Position Conditions: This full-time, permanent position (40 hours per week) will be offered in accordance with conditions identified in the Collective Agreement between the City of Brandon and CUPE Local 69.
For complete position details and requirements see the Job Description on the City of Brandon website.
The City of Brandon thanks all applicants for their interest; only those advancing in the competition will be contacted.
If you are interested in finding out more about the City of Brandon job opportunities, please follow us on Facebook or Twitter!
Serving and Building Community.