Cultural Activities Program Assistant – Temporary
April 16 – August 24, 2018
Community Services Department – Community Development
Do you enjoy organizing and promoting events that foster creative cultural opportunities and community involvement through music? The City of Brandon is searching for an individual with great organizational skills who can help grow Brandon’s cultural programming. The successful candidate works with volunteers of various ages in various capacities of community development. We are looking for an individual who is energetic, enthusiastic, with music and culture knowledge and interest. The incumbent will be required to involve members of the community in the Music in the Parks and 100th Meridian programs and in cultural events programs, which will include volunteers, program participants, adults, seniors, children and youth. The scope of the position will require a combination of days, evenings and weekends.
POSITION DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Organize and promote Community Development’s volunteer based programs with a special focus on music and culture programs;
- Create promotional material such as posters, invitations, etc.;
- Plan and organize cultural and community action programming events;
- Coordinate the Music in the Parks program;
- Assist with the 100th Meridian program;
- Assist with promoting and organizing other cultural programs such as but not limited to Culture Days, community concerts, etc.;
- Liaise with the necessary government offices to work within any applicable regulations;
- Coordinate the necessary equipment according to the needs of the potential performer/speaker/presenter;
- Take registration as required at events;
- Keep track of number of attendees for each event and track volunteers;
- Write reports as required;
- Participate in team meetings to discuss programming ideas and coordinate ideas for the team;
- Maintain a photo/video library in relation to Music in the Parks projects, cultural programs, volunteers, projects, and events;
- Assist with developing and implementing effective strategies to recruit and develop volunteers for the Music in the Park and other City of Brandon events and programs;
- Promote all Community Development volunteer programs and opportunities throughout the community;
- Support all Community Development volunteers in City of Brandon music programs;
- Perform other duties as assigned or required.
MANDATORY QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE
- Demonstrated interest and knowledge in community collaboration;
- Music/sound technical experience;
- Must possess and maintain a valid driver’s licence and have access to a vehicle;
- Successful completion of a Criminal Reference Check and Child Abuse Registry Check including Vulnerable Sector Verification.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE
- Demonstrated interest and knowledge in music and culture;
- Must be energetic and enthusiastic;
- Strong organizational and problem solving skills;
- Creative graphic design skills;
- Detail oriented, with considerable attention to supporting artists and cultural groups;
- Willingness to work as part of a team or independently, in all weather conditions;
- Preference will be given to candidates with previous cultural activities experience;
- Ability to work within a defined budget;
- Demonstrated ability to positively communicate and interact with people of all ages.
Competition # 180018
Please apply with a resume and cover letter on-line at: http://jobbank.brandon.ca.
Applications will be accepted until 11:59 p.m. on March 18, 2018.
Posting Date: March 1, 2018
This opportunity is open to all applicants; however, first consideration will be given to current City of Brandon CUPE employees.
Rate of Pay: $16.70 – $18.01
Position Conditions: This temporary position of between 32 to 40 hours per week will include a variety of days, evenings and weekends and will be offered in accordance with conditions identified in the Collective Agreement between the City of Brandon and CUPE Local 69.
The City of Brandon thanks all applicants for their interest; only those advancing in the competition will be contacted.
If you are interested in finding out more about the City of Brandon job opportunities as soon as they are posted, please follow us on Facebook or Twitter!
Serving and Building Community!